eso

eso

Saturday, July 7, 2012

White Blank Page

                Hey everyone. I was about to just skip writing tonight and just go to sleep, but I feel like I had to share what just happened. So I got home from this downtown art walk thing and had the craziest migraine. I get them often enough that I tried to ignore it. That was not an option tonight. This one was so bad, I ended up turning off anything with a light in my room and turning off anything that made any sort of sound. And when that wasn't enough, I tied a bandanna tight around my head. At that point it was hurting so bad I could hear my hair move every time my head throbbed.
                 As I laid there wishing for it to stop, I started to feel incredibly sick, then tired and light headed, then drained of life. I couldn't move at all. The only good thing was that my head finally stopped hurting. I decided to just take what I could get and let myself go to sleep. Then it hit me, I tasted blood. Turns out I had pulled a Butterfly Effect and didn't even realize. So while I was in the bathroom cleaning up, I noticed the bandanna that was tightly tied around my head had slipped off. It seems my head was literally swollen the entire time.
                That's when I started to think of the movie The Butterfly Effect. In this movie, Ashton Kutcher plays a man who can go back in time to key points in his life and alter events. Every time he changes something and is sent back to present time he has a seizure while his brain is updating all the new memories. That's when I started to wonder, was he the same person every time? Sure, he was always Evan, but isn't a person really just their memories. The events around you are what shape you as a person, they create your personality. That's why I wonder, with every update, did Evan become a new person? Did the Evan from the start of the movie cease to exist?
                 With that I ask you, would you ever consider deleting the worst memory you have from your past? It still happened, you just have no memory of the event. I don't think I would. By removing that memory, the you that existed before removal would essentially be dead. You may hate that event and hate even more that you remember it, but even if you don't realize, it has changed you. It has added an extra cog the mechanism that runs your personality. With a changed personality, you are by all means a changed person.
                Wow, I totally had a different topic in mind before I started to write. I guess I'll just keep this how it is and hope it isn't too dumb. I need to go gets some water.

No comments:

Post a Comment